Sunday, April 22, 2012

~Garden butterflies~Carthage~NC

Howdee all,

I am just starting to learn about butterflies.

I don’t have a guidebook. I am taking photos and trying to compare them to photos online.

I am using this site since I am in NC now

~Butterflies of The Carolinas & Virginias~

If you have any suggestions of good sites to ID butterflies I would appreciate it.

I prefer not to carry around books since our space is limited. I would also be interested in a Ipod app on butterflies.

I have tried to ID some of these butterflies and will continue to research the ones I have no ID for.

I will  put a question mark after the butterfly until someone confirms my ID.

If you know of an ID please feel free to let me know in the comments below.

Thanks..

American Lady

I thought that this could have been a Painted Lady ~Alex L a facebook friend told me this

“One good clue is the small white dot surrounded by orange on the upperside of the forewing. Painted Lady lacks that white dot, among other differences.”

dells_061

Variegated Fritillary
Euptoieta claudia

aroundsickstas_051

After looking online for these IDs I realize taking a photo of the wings closed are important in ID~will try and get more photos in the future.

Sachem ?
Atalopedes campestris

I was told this could be any skipper..I will have to take more angles of these when I see them.

aroundsickstas_062Just found this photo of the same skipper above

aroundsickstas_059

Silver-spotted Skipper
Epargyreus clarus

dells_037

Eight-spotted Forester moth~Alypia octomaculata ?

dells_049

Eastern Tailed-Blue
Cupido comyntas

dells_065

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail,

Papilio glaucus

dells_038

Variegated Fritillary
Euptoieta claudia

aroundsickstas_068

Again~any help is appreciated!

Thanks to Alex Lamoreaux , Russell Reynolds Kerri for your ID help!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ok what do you really think?????