Sunday, January 12, 2014

Hiking with a Bad Elf

I have always wanted to be able to use my Ipod touch and Ipad as a GPS.

People who own the Ipad with 3G are able to because of a built in GPS chip.

I didn't buy an IPad with 3G because we own a Mifi device to pick up cell signals that allow us to go online with our devices.

So, to solve the issue I recently purchased a

 Bad Elf.

GPS Receiver & Datalogger
for iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad.

   I can turn this on along with my mifi device and Ipad or Ipod and start GPS navigation.

I can also use the Bad Elf while hiking to log our trip.

I brought it out on a maiden voyage a few days ago.

It has a strap which can be attached to something or just worn around the neck.

I wore it around my neck for this hike.

bad elfWe walked out the door of Homey and started hiking.

We hiked through Red Springs and up toward one of the rock climbing areas..

Calico hike_003It was a beautiful sunny day, mid sixties.

Tee shirt hiking weather..

Calico hike_002The climbers were out…we watched them..

Calico hike_004Then continued our hike.

Calico hike_007See the path on the right?

That is the path we followed down to the wash..then back up another hill, where I took this photo.

Calico hike_009I followed a flock of birds with my bins and found them on the path.

Dark-eyed Juncos

Calico hike_012At the top of the hill on the wires are two

Western Meadowlark

Calico hike_016We follow the ridgeline for a bit..

Calico hike_018Views toward smoggy Las Vegas.

Calico hike_020Calico hike_026Joshua tree

Calico hike_021We had a nice hike and it was time to head back to Homey..

If you enlarge the photo below you can see Homey on the right side.

Calico hike_023

I took a few screen shots of our trip that was logged on The Bad Elf.

Using the Bad Elf app I downloaded the trip.

Here is an overview..

calico 1

The map of our route.

calico 2

The Details..

So far I am enjoying this little device.

calico 3

 

My Ebird list for the day

Jan 10, 2014
Calico Basin
Traveling
4 miles
180 Minutes
Observers: 2
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: 
Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
Mourning Dove
Anna's Hummingbird
hummingbird sp.
Western Scrub-Jay
Verdin
Rock Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Northern Mockingbird
Phainopepla
White-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco (Oregon)
Western Meadowlark
House Sparrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

ok what do you really think?????